NFL 2015 Top 5 Mock Draft Picks and Predicitons
The 2015 Draft is one that willl be remembered for its depth. There is tons of talent at running back and cornerback. But the one question that sits in everyones mind is "Where will Winston and Mariota fall?" To be honest, I'm wondeing too. Based on recent reports from Pro Days and the combine, I've come up with the top 5 picks of the 2015 NFL Draft in Chicago, as well as 5 bold predictions.
Rd. 1 Pick 1: Jameis Winston, QB FSU to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
He has the nickname Famous Jameis for a reason ladies and gentleman. If you saw the video of his Pro Day you would've seen his amazing arm and pinpoint accuracy. The only thing hindering his success in the NFL isn't on the field, its between his ears. If Lovie Smith can work out Winston's lack of common sense, then it would be a huge pick for the Bucs. With talent like Doug Martin, Mike Evans, Vincent Jackson, Austin Seferian-Jenkins, and a defense that's strong year after year, all they need is someone to throw the ball. Mike Glennon isn't doing well, and Josh McCown is partying on the bench with Johnny Football in Cleveland. Don't be surprised if Jameis goes number one and the Bucs win the weak and pathetic NFC South.
Rd. 1 Pick 2: Leonard Williams, DE USC to the Tennessee Titans
Yes of course I can talk about the retiring of Jake Locker and the question mark that is Zach Mettenberger. Mettenberger showed us that he isn't that bad, and can survive under center in Nashville. That leads me to dismiss all claims of Mariota being drafted second behind Jameis. Now, we see Leonard Williams. The big boy out of USC. He's a defensive presence on the line, which could really solidify the Titans' front line. With talent like Jurrell Casey and Kameron Wimbley, a guy like Leonard Williams can thrive in Tennessee. He's young and can be mentored, plus he's somewhat of a physical specimen. Watch Ken Whisenhunt go defense with his second pick instead of entering in the Mariota Sweepstakes.
Rd. 1 Pick 3: Dante Fowler Jr., OLB UF to the Jacksonville Jaguars
I'm not going to bore you about Jacksonvillle. The Jaguars are no stranger to being this high in the draft. Dante Fowler will not solve all of their problems, but it does give Paul Posluzny a partner in the linebacking core. He's done great at Florida, and is a solid pick for the Jags. Fowler has lots of promise and can be an impact player in games early on in his career. I feel as though the combination of Bortles, Shoelace Robinson, Marquise Lee, and Justin Blackmon can do some damage on the offensive side. All they need is many pieces to fix their swiss cheese-like defense. Fowler is a step in the right direction.
Rd. 1 Pick 4: Kevin White, WR WVU to the Oakland Raiders
With the departure of offensive weapons Denarius Moore, MJD, and Darren McFadden, poor second year quarterback Derek Carr needs some help on the offensive side of the ball. That's where Kevin White comes in. He's not as proven as Amari Cooper, but his mix of size and skill can be deadly, especially in this Raiders offense. He's a threat that needs to be covered, and he will be a key part to the Raiders offensive plans come 2015.
Rd. 1 Pick 5 : Vic Beasley, OLB Clemson to the Washington Redskins
No, Marcus Mariota will not replace RG3 in D.C. Vic Beasley provides the perfect replacement to former Redskins linebacker Brian Orakpo, who was lost to Tennessee in free agency. Beasley's combine was rather impressive, solidifying his place in the top five. Washington's void at outside linebacker can be filled by Beasley, and he will provide another pass rushing option opposite Ryan Kerrigan.
5 BOLD DRAFT PREDICTIONS
1) Marcus Mariota will go to the Jets. As a Pats fan, I hate to say it, but Mariota is a good fit in the Big Apple. Pro Bowl receivers Eric Decker and Brandon Marshall deserve better than Geno Smith. Their wish will be granted with Marcus Mariota wearing green and white.
2) Amari Cooper will become Alshon Jeffery's understudy in Chicago. Since they traded Brandon Marshall, the Bears need another threat to make up for Cutler's lack of skill under center. It's a match made in heaven.
3) Melvin Gordon is going to Jerry World. We all know Darren McFadden is washed up, so that's where Gordon comes in. He was force in the BIG10 at Wisconsin, and to me, he'll start behind Tony Romo come 2015.
4) Byron Jones, the 12 foot broad jumping, and 4.40 40 yard dash running cornerback out of UConn will find his way in a Pats uniform next year. He's the Jamie Collins of the cornerback position. He's a freakish athlete and can start to fill the void in the seondary left by Revis and Browner.
5) My last bold prediction is my boldest one of them all. The San Diego Chargers will draft one of two running backs. Either Todd Gurley or Ameer Abdullah. This is a shock for Chargers fans who think Branden Oliver is the next big thing. News flash, he isn't. Either one of these two guys will start in San Diego next year and beter than Ryan Matthews ever was down in So. Cal. I predict just over 1,000 yards in their rookie year.