The Boston Red Sox Are World Champions

credit: Olivia Falcigno
43 days ago, I ran into Chris Sale outside of my apartment. I was absolutely star-struck. I didn't know what to say to him. I was walking home from a friend's birthday party at a club nearby and didn't want to sound like a drunk idiot. He was still on the DL. I asked him how he was doing. He said he felt great. Awesome. I then asked about our chances in the playoffs. Chris fucking Sale looked me dead in the eyes and said, "World Series or bust, baby!"

This one is special. We don't have a shtick like the previous teams did. We came in, dominated, and sent every opponent home crying. I was real emotional when I left Cask 'n Flagon tonight. I was with some great friends and it was tough to hold back tears in the later innings. I totally lost it when they won. I embraced Cocco and Chung harder than I've ever embraced someone in my life. The Sox won the World Series and I was fifteen feet away from Fenway. It didn't matter that they were in LA. You could feel the spirit of the Red Sox in every true fan that was in the bar. I get chills thinking about what I just witnessed. Shoutout to Cocco, Chung, Baker, Juanita, Tyler, and Andy for being there tonight. We all knew that this was something special. We definitely don't play for the Sox, but we will forever be champions.

The Boston Red Sox are World Champions for the fourth time in fourteen years. We beat the Yankees. We beat the Astros. We WHOOPED the Dodgers. All of those teams were touted as the best team in baseball at one point or another.

I wish there was more baseball. This team meant a lot to me. It obviously didn't mean the same thing to the city of Boston as the '04 and '13 Sox did, but with every win, the city realized that we had one of the best baseball teams of all time on our hands. I remember sitting in my apartment, looking at Elvis and Matteo in early April, ranting about how this Sox team could go down as one of the greatest baseball teams of all time. I sounded like an idiot. I was a life-long Sox fan trying to convince others that what we had here was something special. Now, it is the truth and there is no debate.

David Price took the mound and shut down every hater that he had ever amassed. 7 innings. One earned run. He took all the doubters in New England and told them to go pound sand. What an incredible turnaround for a guy who was seen as someone who could never win a postseason game. I would die for David Price. All the money that we pay him is worth it. I hope he retires in a Red Sox uniform. Fuck you, Dennis Eckersley.

Steve Pearce put his team on his back like Big Papi used to. He did it time and time again. Two home runs in a World Series clinching game? No problem. "Hop on Boston, we have places to go!"- Stevie P, apparently. I would pay an infinite amount of money to have this man back on the roster for the 2019 season. Did anyone think this guy would be the World Series MVP when we traded a minor league bum and some cash for him in the middle of the season? Nope. But that's what the Sox are all about. It's what we've ALWAYS been about. He took on the role of Jonny Gomes, Mark Bellhorn, and Stephen Drew. All of them were scrubs until they took the field at Fenway Park.

I tweeted on February 19th: "world series champs 2k18 #sox." This was obviously a ridiculous prediction. No one had any idea that this team would be as complete as it was. Every single person contributed to this World Series win. JBJ made me eat my words and cry in the corner like the sad loser I am. Price shut up the haters. Brock Holt hustled like no one ever has before (fuck you, Machado). Eovaldi became a character that will be forever talked about in Red Sox folklore. JD Martinez proved that every single cent of his contract is worth it. I love everything about every single player on the roster. 


Alex Cora showed the advantages of having a competent manager. Last year, with John Farrell, we were all left scratching our heads. It seemed as though every decision was a bad one, and it led to an early exit in last year's playoffs. This year, we have a World Series title to bring back to Boston. You can thank Dombrowski and Cora for that.

I think the reason I was so emotional at the end of the game was because of how consistent this team was in my life. From March on, I always had something to watch; something to really believe in. Some people say that sports are a dull-man's game, but I don't see it. I love these fucking guys. They will be immortalized in Red Sox history, and rightfully so. 


Being able to run onto Landsdowne St. and celebrate with all of the Sox fans was something I'll never forget as long as I live. I was emotional in the arms of people I didn't even know. The real ones felt the same exact way. The Sox have a grip on the area where I live and it is very evident that the people who live here love it. I wish I could have celebrated with my dad, but I know that this was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Shoutout Iron Man for being negative about the blue jerseys (two wins!). 

Someone started playing "We Are the Champions" out of their window overlooking the party and I couldn't contain my excitement. I had lost all my friends by this point, but it didn't matter. I was arm-in-arm with people I did not know, singing about the Red Sox being world champions. That type of brotherhood is seldom found outside of the sports world.

After that, I left and tried to meet up with my BU friends, who did not make it to Landsdowne St. before the cops shut it down. I walked about a mile, on a ridiculous route, to find them. When I did, I was met with hugs and congratulations. This is the second time since we've been here that we've won a sports championship while in the city of Boston. Two in four years is a pretty good ratio. I hope the Pats can take it home before everyone graduates.


I can go to bed tonight knowing that we are the actual champions of the baseball world. I will wake up tomorrow knowing the same thing. I hope the Red Sox repeat in 2019. I will never forget what this team has done for me. They made everyone in the city of Boston proud to root for the Red Sox. 




After the parade on Wednesday, I'll see you on March 28th. This happens to be the earliest Opening Day in MLB history. I guess we'll have to start winning earlier this year than previous years. 150 days until we start our quest for another World Series trophy. Ho hum. Sox forever. Faith Rewarded.

Comments

Popular Posts