FF Week 2 Recap: Not Electric Boogaloo


Have you ever lost in a sporting event because of the "slaughter rule?" Yeah, not a great feeling. It's what you do when you're facing someone and your team has such a subpar performance that the referees have to end the game to presumably avoid injury and further embarrassment. There's no coming back from a 30+ point deficit in football unless you're the Buffalo Bills against the Houston Oilers in 1993.

Next question: have you ever been slaughtered in flag football? Probably not because it's virtually impossible, but I helped our team achieve new lows on Monday night.

I can't even complain about the weather this time. No excuses. Except for the fact that two out of the three interceptions that I threw (both returned for touchdowns, of course) were unreal catches by the defender on shallow routes. I'm talking OBJ-level snags out of nowhere. We're out here playing BU nerds and I'm making them look like the second coming of Deion Sanders.

There were a few bright spots: a few guys showed up that weren't there last week. Captain Jackson caught a TD on a wild play where the defense totally forgot how to rip the flag off of him. DL superstar GINZ got a QB sack on the one yard line in one of the most impressive flashes of athleticism I have ever seen. He was a total monster. Really turned it on when it mattered.

But that's about it. We were missing stud WR Kasrah and a few other guys who were rumored to show up but didn't. No big deal, that's why the season is a long one (there's only four games so I'm nervous). I have to start hitting guys on deeper routes and I know that's on me. I haven't had to read a defense in a year, and I'm not making excuses here, but I never learned how to do it in high school so I'm learning on the fly.

We didn't practice again and it was pretty evident. Can't win if we just show up every few weeks and expect to be the '07 Pats. That will change, with a big practice scheduled for Saturday afternoon, where there is sure to be many beers drank. Maybe that's the problem. All of us come sober and not loose. Time will tell.

For now, there's nothing we can do but hope for the best (and practice but that doesn't really fit my narrative). Don't count us out. You just can't. With a roster as stacked as ours, don't let us get into that wild card game. We just might have to shock the world.

2018 Record: 0-2




Comments

Popular Posts