FF Week 1 Recap: My Return to Football was Less Than Ideal

2017 team (RIP)
On Monday Night, our flag football team returned for a third straight season. Player/coach Sean informed me last week that the gang would be getting back together. To say I was elated would have been an understatement.

This season was to be about revenge. The previous two seasons have ended in the first round of the playoffs. I will admit that I had a few too many drinks before trying to lead the team to victory last year. That's on me. Time slipped away from me and before I knew it, I was on the field, throwing picks left and right.

The return of the team this year was less than spectacular. In cold and rainy conditions, we took the field ready to beat the other team who was clearly far more organized than us, seeing as though I met half of the team for the first time that night. Nonetheless, we got the ball first and I proceed to throw an interception. No big deal, I thought, that'll be my only one of the night, I'm just getting warmed up.

Wrong.

The most positive note of the night is this: the second drive led to a beautiful touchdown catch by Kas. We were on top of the enemy, 6-0. This would be the first and final lead of the night for our new squad.

Playing football without cleats on a turf field in the rain should be illegal. After blowing out my knee two years ago and doing nothing to rehab it, I was nervous to do it again, limiting the run game. Our defense was playing spectacular, but the enemy would not stop stepping in front of my throws. Bunch of jerks if you ask me.

We went into halftime down a score and our heads held moderately high. There was hope in the eyes of the newcomers. I did my best to show them that they should be hopeful about nothing.

All of our second half drives ended one of two ways: an interception or a turnover on downs. Not a great look by me. I am not too proud to admit that.

This loss is solely on my shoulders, and I will do everything in my power to rectify the situation. If that means more check-down routes, then so be it. Maybe a few practices wouldn't hurt. We shall see.

Expect the new squad to come out hot next week. A fire has been lit. Updates to follow.

 2018 record: 0-1

Comments

Popular Posts