The Mom of a Backpacker Killed in Europe Does Not Like Our President


(SOURCE)- LONDON (AP) — The mother of a backpacker slain in an Australian hostel wrote an open letter to U.S. President Donald Trump, rejecting the decision to label her daughter's death as a terror attack.

The August slayings of Mia Ayliffe-Chung, 20, and fellow Briton Tom Jackson, 30, were on a list of 78 attacks the White House says were "executed or inspired by" the Islamic State terror group — and under-reported by the media.

Rosie Ayliffe says the possibility of terrorism was discounted early in the investigation.


I want to be the first to say that I am all for the proper vetting of those coming into our country. I want those in the country to be properly screened as well. This does not apply to only people who practice Muslim extremism, but people who practice Christian extremism and anarchy as well. If you want to disrupt and alter my daily life, I don't see a place for you in our nation and I don't know why anyone else would either.

Let's get to the real issue. The White House released a list of terror attacks that were underreported by the media. I have not gone back to check all of them but I would assume that most of the attacks mentioned definitely fall under that category. I will agree with Trump here, trusting mainstream media is not the best way to get your information nowadays. However, these kinds of stories are deeply troubling. They make the public nervous and further a distrust between the every day man and the media. With simple research, the White House could have figured out that this attack was not carried out by the Islamic State. The police deemed it not to be a terrorist attack early in the investigation.

In all honestly, I think that I would label this as propaganda. I want to be safe. I am an American. While all of this is good and true, I do not want to be lied to by our new administration. I want facts, and I expect Trump's team of experts, who he deemed to be "THE BEST", to actually do their jobs. Having to sift through left and right wing media to actually get real facts is getting, for lack of a better term, annoying. I want to have the cold, hard facts presented to me so I can be an informed citizen.

With that being said, I hope that stories like this diminish over the next few months. I hope that the era of calling an organization "Fake News" because they disagree with a viewpoint ends soon. I want to go back to a period of time where I can trust the news. I want to believe the things that I read on The Wall Street Journal, as well as Fox News! This partisan ideology that has crept into American society will only divide us further. Let me leave you with a quote from our first president, George Washington from 1796:

"However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion."

-FAREWELL ADDRESS | SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 1796

Comments

Popular Posts