Last Night I Got Sleep Paralysis and It Was Horrible

photo credit: The Odyssey 
Last night was a pretty normal night. I went out with some friends and then headed back to my dorm to get some sleep. I was having some trouble staying asleep, waking up every ten minutes in a state of confusion. After many times falling asleep and waking up from a new dream, I realized that I was not actually in my dorm room, but in a dream version of my dorm room. This has happened to me in dreams before but I usually wake up by the time I realize that I am dreaming. However, this time was different. I moved my laptop without using my hands. I made weird colors appear in a wave in front of my eyes. Everything was awesome. It was definitely one of the coolest things that has ever happened to me.

With every positive story, there is a negative one. After what seemed like forever in this dream, I began to wonder if I could wake myself up. I tried really hard and couldn't do it. I tried a few more times, still no luck. After trying about 5 or 6 times to wake myself up from this dream state, I could start to feel my body in the regular world. I just could not move. It felt like I was paralyzed and I didn't know if I was ever going to wake up. I know this sounds fake and ridiculous, but apparently this is what sleep paralysis is. Here's a quick definition from America's Favorite Way to Diagnose Yourself, Web MD:

"Sleep paralysis is a feeling of being conscious but unable to move. It occurs when a person passes between stages of wakefulness and sleep. During these transitions, you may be unable to move or speak for a few seconds up to a few minutes. Some people may also feel pressure or a sense of choking."

Luckily, I had no feeling of pressure or sense of choking. It still sucked. I had read about lucid dreaming before and I thought that it really would be the coolest thing of all time. Maybe it would be if I knew how to properly control it. All I know is that I am kind of scared to go to bed tonight.

Comments

Popular Posts