I Go to Concerts Alone, Is That Weird?

Brian Swindle of Have Mercy at the Sinclair, June 11
I get a lot of heat for things I do because they could be perceived as weird. Is gambling on cricket, a sport that I know nothing about, a weird move? Probably. Do I really need to buy things from the Chinese Ebay because they're ridiculously cheap? I don't think so (but maybe). Still, the ultimate question remains: is going to a concert by yourself a weird move? LET'S DEBATE!

Monday night was the second time in my life that I've done gone by myself to a show and it has been fantastic both times. I saw The Shins last summer and it was one of the best experiences ever. This summer, I took the trek to Cambridge, specifically The Sinclair, to see one of my favorite bands, Have Mercy.

When I would tell people that I was going alone, I would get the same reaction: why? People would look at me like I was Hydra.

Don't get me wrong, there are obvious factors why going to a show alone isn't for everyone. I am a pretty big guy and don't have any fears of being kidnapped or aggressively hit on until I'm uncomfortable. I'm not one to start trouble, so getting into fights with random people when I have no backup really isn't my go-to plan. I tend to mind my own business when I'm by myself, so it works out.

There are a few things you want to obviously stay away from when you go to a show by yourself, for safety's sake. For one, I would probably stay away from doing anything that presents a situation where bodily harm is common, like jumping in the middle of a mosh pit. I would also advise against drinking a lot because that, in addition to a number of other things, may land you in the middle of said mosh pit. One unavoidable thing that I've noticed is on the train ride home. You never know when the show will end, and if it's late enough, you may end up with some sketchy people sitting next to you.

Even with those factors in mind, going by yourself to see a band you genuinely enjoy is such a surreal experience. Both times, I have shamelessly screamed all the lyrics to every song at the top of my lungs. I didn't have a care in the world who saw me because I didn't know anyone else in the venue. You can really make an ass out of yourself, in a good way, and no one will care. Depending on who you attend concerts with, your pal might see this as a little aggressive, especially if they aren't as much of a fan as you are. My friends usually love the bands that we see together, so it works out either way.

Having all the time to yourself and operating on your own schedule is a definite plus. You get to go where you want before and after the show. A massive plus is the fact that you don't have to be responsible for anyone else but yourself. If you know that you can handle a night on the town alone, like a real grown up, go grab a few beers and then meander over to the show when you feel like it. Concert planning is usually stressful, especially with a big group of people. Going alone completely takes that headache away.

So basically, the simple answer to the aforementioned question is no. If you want to go see your favorite band that none of your friends like or know, go ahead. It will be a fun time for sure. It might be easier for me because I'm an only child and am very content hanging out and doing things by myself. But, if you're on the fence about it, give it a try. You really don't know what you're missing.

Side story: I once asked a woman what time The Shins were going on and she told me that she had a boyfriend and walked away pretty aggressively. So, you win some, you lose some I guess. There will always be a good story at the end of the night!

Comments

Popular Posts