Well, I've Wasted 72 Hours of My life


Obligatory spoilers warning. Although it doesn't matter; if you haven't seen this show yet, don't even bother watching.

Okay I want to start by saying a few things. I loved Game of Thrones until the start of season seven. It started to go downhill, George R. R. Martin's book wasn't the basis of the writing anymore and it was clear that the HBO guys were just carrying out their fantasy of writing fan fiction. I'm not saying that's always a bad thing, but it's a REALLY bad thing here.

GoT had the potential to be one of the best series of all time. Now, I don't even put it in my top ten. I have wasted over 72 god damn hours watching this show for it to come to a shitty end. There is no way that this whole thing can be saved with one episode left. There are so many storylines that need to be wrapped up that nothing will really make any sense in the end. Let's take a look at what needs to be wrapped up next Sunday night:

-Jon vs. Dany
-Arya's character arc
-What the hell Sansa is gonna do
-An explanation as to why Bran was the most useless character ever
-Brienne of Tarth? Is she just gonna cower away forever with a broken heart?
-Is Tyrion gonna be executed?
-What's Bron gonna do now that all the shit went down?

Yeah, one episode will definitely leave the fans feeling satisfied with the ending, especially with all those character arcs they need to end. Nothing to see here, just DnD (the writers, it's cool GoT lingo, look it up) fuckin' things up as usual.

Here we go. Here are my official quarrels with this latest episode, "The Bells."

I really was excited for this episode after seeing the second dragon fall into the water last week. I thought Euron Greyjoy was gonna be a way bigger part of the last two episodes, but he just got his ENTIRE fleet burned by Dany and Drogon. I don't really understand why Dany wouldn't just do that the first time she encountered them, but I digress.

In addition, Euron stabbing Jamie about a hundred times was great. The fact that Jamie was able to still get to Cersei after that? Absolutely garbage. It just made no sense. It also made no sense that Euron magically appeared from the water at the same time that Jamie was just strolling by. COME ON!

One of the main things that stuck out to me was how easily these huge ass arrow shooter things were destroyed. They seemed like they were going to be the downfall of Dany and her army because they killed the second dragon with LIGHTNING quickness an episode before. This episode? Nope, Drogon decided that he was the man and lit every single one up without the Lannister army getting more than a few shots off. WHY WOULD DANY NOT JUST DO THIS IN THE BEGINNING? Plot hole after plot hole.

Dany decided that she was officially the Mad Queen and I loved that. I just didn't understand why she would wait for the bell to ring to officially attack the city. You can make the argument that because she's now mad, she has no concept of what's good for the future or not. I get that, I'm not an idiot. What I don't get is torching the city when you know your own forces are in there, especially Jon and Arya. What's gonna be the end game if Dany takes the throne with absolutely no army in a city where she just murdered everyone and destroyed everything? Mad people do crazy things, but they're more often than not WAY more calculated than this. (See: Cersei)

Speaking of my girl Cersei, there was totally no better way to kill her than by falling rocks. Nope, that seems like the best case death for a character who has tortured Westeros since the beginning of the show. Sounds good to me! Just kidding, that fucking sucked. The prophecy is now fulfilled, she has had her three children kid and she died at the hands of her younger brother. Only, it was supposed to be way cooler than that. Jamie showed that incest was his real weakness and tried to save the lady that screwed up everything harder than anyone had before. And then they were both killed by rocks. The most badass, fearless woman and the Kingslayer killed by a bunch of rubble. Loved that end to those character arcs.

Character arcs took a hit with the battle of The Mountain vs. The Hound. Brother against brother. Brawn against brawn. An alive guy vs...a dead guy who couldn't be killed with a knife to the brain? Seriously? It took more to kill the god damn Mountain than it did the Night King? I get the whole thing where they both died in fire. It was cool because The Hound was mutilated by his brother in fire. I get it, I really do! However, having them both die Harry Potter and Voldemort style was such a cop-out my eyes couldn't take it anymore. I'm not even gonna mention the fact that The Hound let Cersei walk right by him and didn't even try to kill her. Such a weird move.

Moving on, but in the same vein, we have Arya's story arc. Holy shit could they could not have done this any worse. Arya was beaten, abused, trained, and became a killer just to take down Cersei, and she was persuaded in 20 seconds by The Hound to not go with him because she was gonna die? WASN'T THAT THE WHOLE POINT? Had Arya been next to The Hound before the battle with his broski, she could have fulfilled her destiny and taken down Cersei with such ease, you or I could have done it. Now, there are rumors online saying that at the Battle of Winterfell, the Red Lady said to Arya that she would kill blue eyes, green eyes, yadda yadda. Guess who has green eyes? Dany. Guess who's gonna be ripshit if Arya kills BOTH the Night King and Dany and doesn't end up dead? This guy!

Had enough of my takes yet? No? Good. I still have plenty.

WHERE THE HELL WAS BRAN THESE LAST TWO EPISODES? The dude can see the past and the present and they thought it was a good idea to let him stay in Winterfell and not use him as a clear strategic advantage against Cersei? Are you kidding me? Bran has just turned into such a weird creep that I kind of respect it, but I really wanted more from his story. He kind of just turned into the three-eyed raven and didn't do anything else. LAME!

Arya, after abandoning The Hound for unknown reasons, proceeded to try to make an escape through Kings Landing. Weird, but not totally ridiculous. What was ridiculous was the fact that she survived every single breath of dragon fire and every single building collapse, no matter how shitty the situation was. At the end of the episode, she rides off on this mysterious white horse (which is probably Bran and would make me less mad) who has also not been hurt by any of the surrounding destruction. Sounds good. Love it.

JON SNOW! What the hell are you doing, man!? You're the worst politician in the history of GoT. You've never stuck up for yourself against Dany and I can only conclude that you'll let her chop your head off because you bent the knee and have "honor." Grow up dude. You're the rightful King. Sansa knows it and is gonna be sooooo pissed when she finds out that Dany roasted every single person in King's landing.

Tyrion is as good as dead. That dude ratted on Varys, who actually, was probably trying to poison her. (Not often do I post a link to a Cosmo article but I'm lazy and it was the first one I saw). He's gonna have to be executed by Dany. It just doesn't make sense for him to survive eight full seasons of GoT with the amount of shit he's been through.

Dear HBO, PLEASE KILL EVERYONE THIS NEXT EPISODE! You've written yourself into a corner without GRRM and it's really showing. I wanted this to be my favorite show of all time and you just blew it. I wouldn't recommend any of my friends to watch this if the last episode isn't the best episode of television ever.

Speaking of best last episodes ever, Breaking Bad did what GoT wanted to do. Breaking Bad took Walter White and made him a villain without cheap storylines that didn't really make sense. Dany's storyline just doesn't make sense. She frees so much of the surrounding world, only to go mad after two of her dragons died? I know she's pissed about Jon being the rightful heir and Massandra getting her head cut off, but come on. You're obviously not fit for rule if that's what throws you off the edge. Be more like Cersei, kill everyone in a sneaky way until you get the crown. Maybe then you can go mad.

Whatever, I'm done here. I'll still be watching on Sunday but I won't be happy about it. Please don't screw this all up, HBO.

Comments

Popular Posts