Kareem Hunt Released by the Chiefs


Kareem Hunt, apparent scumbag, was released by the Kansas City Chiefs today. This comes after TMZ released a video from a Cleveland hotel security camera involving Hunt and his team scuffling with a few women. There is no audio, so you can't tell what happened before, after, or during, but it really doesn't matter. Here is the link if you really want to see it.

Hold onto your hats, folks. This is gonna be a long and probably controversial ride.

I could be wrong with my analysis here, but I'm basing this solely off of the same TMZ article that put Hunt out of a job.

Let's break down some of the facts provided to us by the article. If you want to use TMZ's reporting as the holy grail, it's important to look at the interviews they posted of the alleged victim and of the member of Hunt's group. It's important to make inferences on your own, so obviously don't take my word to the bank. It's time for me to play devil's advocate here.

Okay, are you ready to hate me? Sweet, how about we start with the girl's interview? I say "girl" because she was allegedly under the age of 21. She showed up drunk to the hotel. We've all done it, but none of us have called an NFL running back the N-Word because of it. She was claiming that she was trying to find a way home back to Berea, Ohio and was phoning her friends in Cleveland, when the incident took place.

The way that she uses air quotes around Kareem's name in the video is synonymous with talking shit about someone who didn't like you. She then said that the front desk denied her request to call 9-1-1 THREE times? Then they told her that's what she gets for being a slut? I dunno. Seems a little fishy to me. Seems like a situation an overly drunk person would be in, not one in their right frame of mind.

Lets take it back to the guy from Hunt's camp. He says that he knows the group of girls from a friend (AKA an Instagram DM). He invited them to the club, only to realize that they were not 21 and were too drunk to get in, anyway. The woman who is accusing Hunt of assault allegedly broke one of his boy's chains by hitting his neck, which was not part of the video recording that was released. Then, the guy in his crew gets into the fact that the drunk white girl from Ohio started calling the group of famous black guys the N-Word after they kicked her out of their hotel room. Hmmmm. I feel like I've heard this one before. I think there's a word for it...racism? Yes. That's it!

It was 3:22 a.m. It's fair to assume that everyone in the situation was being influenced by alcohol. Both of the stories seem to be exaggerated in one way or another, but I just can't wrap my head around a false N-Word accusation in 2018. Maybe I'm naive. Maybe I'm an idiot. We don't know yet.

The biggest thing I took away from red bandana guy was the fact that he acknowledged that allegedly racist girl's friend was calm. He says that the racist girl "was a mess." We all know people that get sloppy drunk. Are we really supposed to believe the fact that some 19-year-old didn't say anything to get in a scuffle with Hunt's girlfriend trying to de-escalate the situation? I don't know. I'm not in charge of deciding who was in the right/wrong and I'm not pretending to be.

The biggest thing I took away from this were the difference in demeanors. The girl seemed to be trying to pull at the heart strings of the cops while the dude seemed to be giving it to them straight.

I don't know how this will go down in the history books, but for now I remain extremely skeptical. Okay, my time as devil's advocate is up. I'm back to normal me.

Now that we're past all the analysis, I think it's an all-time move by the Chiefs to keep convicted domestic abuser Tyreek Hill on the squad, but drop non-convicted Hunt after the video surfaces on TMZ. Tyreek strangles his pregnant girlfriend in college? No problem, he'll have a spot in the NFL because he's fast, they can draft him later than expected, and there's no video. What a fucking sad attempt at a PR move this whole thing is. I guess the Redskins are just gonna have to pick him up, too. Maybe the Cowboys will sign him and offer Greg Hardy to be his life coach.

The NFL has a serious problem with the way they deal with domestic abuse and assault allegations. Sometimes players get a simple suspension (Zeke Elliot, because he's a franchise-altering player) and sometimes they're out of the league forever (Dez Bryant...oh wait...no...he signed with a team this year).

The Reuben Foster situation obviously does not make this easier, you know, because his girlfriend admitted she lied and now is re-pressing charges against him a la Greg Hardy's accuser. Joe Mixon punching a girl in the face as hard as he could at a restaurant? No problemo for Goodell, the Bengals, or the fans, for that matter.  Whatever the case may be, the NFL needs to work closer with local police departments to ensure that their players actually did nothing wrong.

Take Josh Brown, former NFL kicker, as an example. It is now known that there TWENTY situations filed with the King County Sheriff's Office about his abusive behavior. Do you know when the NFL finally took action? The last one. It's a joke!

What's even more ironic is the number of people on Twitter calling for the domestic violence rules to be fixed. One third of women experience domestic violence from an intimate partner in the US. Hypocrisy at its finest by all the dudes out there. There will be more and more guys in the NFL, on TV, and on the radio that will be accused of this stuff. Some will be false, most will be true. But, when you're looking at 33% of women in America being abused, you have to wonder how many social justice warriors abuse women when no one is looking.

Kareem Hunt is a year and a half older than I am. I don't abuse women because I was raised to be a good dude. Shoutout to my mom. I don't know what his home life situation was, and I'm obviously not making excuses, but this dude is so young. He's a premier back in the NFL. I'd have no idea how to deal with that all that fame and pressure. Maybe he snapped and it was a one-time thing that he can learn from. Or, to the dismay of NFL fans, he has been a violent person for years and this was the first instance that they actually caught him doing something that was over the line.

The TMZ headline was blown so out of proportion, I could not fathom it. The original headline was "KC Running Back Kareem Hunt Brutalizes and Kicks Woman..." Look, there's a difference between what he did and what Ray Rice did. Rice brutalized his fiancee by knocking her out with a one-two combo. Hunt didn't do that. He shoved a woman after a dispute, to which she slapped him. Then, his friend pushed the woman, causing her to go flying into the wall. Hunt took it a step further and half kicked, half rolled her over with his foot. Not exactly a kick, but I get that the headline is trying to get clicks.

Basically, the Chiefs made a stupid move. If you're going to cut Kareem Hunt, you need to cut Tyreek Hill. But you know why they won't do that? Because the Chiefs would lose the rest of their games and be on the verge of making the playoffs. They're currently near the top of the AFC. No owner is going to jeopardize their opportunity to make a Super Bowl run. It's a sad reality, but it's the one that we're currently living in.

Final Note: I want you all to know that I think what Kareem Hunt did is not what any man should do. He should have walked away from the situation. Even if alcohol is involved, there is no reason to put your hands on a woman. I just wanted to give a different perspective on this whole situation. Hopefully this allows for some constructive dialogue in the future with your friends and family. If not, whatever, I'll be back to the funny blogs soon.

Comments

Popular Posts