The Great Interstellar Snub



Never before have I seen a movie snubbed as much as Interstellar has been since it's release. It hurts my brain to think that Gravity could clean up at the Academy Awards while the cast and crew of Interstellar only walked away with one award. It's bananas. It's malarky. 

The fact that Matthew McConaughey recieved minimal praise for his role in the movie is mind bending. Before seeing the movie, I wasn't a huge McConaughey guy. I had seen a few of his movies before but I never really looked at him as an actor that could pull off this kind of a role. He was always a tad bit goofy, and it turned me off. Here, he gives a stellar preformance that brought me back to the theatre three times. 

It was very nice to see that the people who were in charge of the visual effects for the film got the nod. They were extremely deserving, I had not seen such a visually appealing movie in a very long time. Sadly, they were the only ones to take home any hardware

Hans Zimmer changes movies with his music. He was the mastermind behind the music for movies such as Pirates of the Caribbean, Inception, and The Dark Knight. All of those soundtracks own real estate on my iTunes library because they were beautifully done. Not a knock on The Grand Budapest Hotel, but it was goofy music that set a background, whilst Zimmer gave us music that told a story. 

Without Zimmer writing and producing the soundtrack for Interstellar, who knows what the film would have been. I know that part of the reason I had any interest in seeing the movie was because it was him in charge of making me feel something. He delivered, blowing my expectations out of the water when I first saw the film. The music filled the voids in the story, where one might have been a little confused, with joy, sadness and curiousity. 

Maybe I should stop watching award shows, because they never seem to credit those most deserving. 

Comments

Popular Posts